8.14.2018

Water in Windex










Outfit: CRIV, Shoes: Nordstrom, Clutch: gift, Earrings: no idea- 10 years old





I am a walking, talking contradiction when it comes to money.

For example... I  am weirdly frugal about some things, then wildly frivolous about others.

It pains me to spend money on groceries. I shop at Aldi for most things and look at every price, check out how many ounces something is then compare the price per ounce. I hate buying brand name household products when the generic is the same exact thing. Bathing suit season, gimme all the 12 dollar tops. I would NEVER spend a bunch of money on a swimsuit. Memberships to expensive gyms? Pushups and sit ups in my bonus room are what I'm doing instead. I just bought new under garments because they were on MAJOR sale, and realized that the last time I had done that was EASILY 8 or more years ago (don't judge me, I wash on the delicate cycle and hang to dry - they last me a long time). Putting gas in my car? I will drive to the cheapest station (South Carolina versus North Carolina) then straight up experience buyer's remorse over having a car that requires premium grade fuel. If I buy a bottle of water I will refill that bottle for at least two weeks before recycling it. I'll put everything I need in my cart whilst shopping online, and if the store dares to charge me shipping - FOR.GET about it. I can't do it. I won't. Empty cart. Log off. I buy super affordable every day clothing (ie: yoga pants, tank tops, jeans, flip flops, etc.) and I'll wear a pair of sneakers until they are riddled with holes them. I have definitely super-glued the soles of my sneakers back on before. And by "before" I mean very recently.  At 38 years old.

But then...

I'll turn around and buy this tie-top, cropped pant, two-piece outfit plastered in palm trees leaves (2 years ago) with no place to wear it, before it even fit me right. This was too tight to wear comfortably when I bought it but I bought it anyway because I loved it (and you know, someday it miiiiight fit). I definitely spent 3 weeks worth of groceries on this outfit and gave zero FKs about doing so. Then, there it sat. Waiting for me to fit into it. Waiting for me to remove the tags. I do that with clothing more than I'd care to admit. I'll buy something so ridiculous, with no where to wear it just because I love it. I honestly, I want to create the kind of life for myself that requires ridiculous clothing.
My best friend and I went to Mexico in April and I had to buy NOTHING before going. I have FAR more clothing items suitable for a colorful, pom-pom, palm tree, flowy, strappy, cropped top vacation week than I do clothes to go get lunch in on a Saturday afternoon. Right now, there is a dress hanging in my closet that would only be suitable if I were a wedding guest at a wedding held in the Caribbean. How many upcoming destination weddings in the Caribbean am I attending you ask? None. Zero. However... if I get invited to one. I AM READY. Dressing for lunch on a Sunday stresses me out, but packing for Vegas?? Easy. I have sequins in every color and more short skirts than socks that match.

I spent $12,000 on a breast reduction and then got pissed that none of my old bras fit me and I had to buy new ones. What an asshole.
In the grocery store, I buy $9.00 bottles of wine (and scoff at ones that get even close to $12.00). Then I go out to dinner and don't bat an eye at a 4 ounce glass that runs $14.00.
I'll spend $90 on a canvas to paint on, then add water to extend the life of the Windex  in the bottle I use to wipe up the paint that splattered off of said canvas on to the floor.

And honestly, I'm okay with all of this. I save on every day things and splurge on fan-fking-tastic things. Am I alone?

Is there anything that you are ridiculously contradictory about??


No comments:

Post a Comment