11.16.2011

Polka Dots, Lace, and Faux-Fur




Vest: Kenar, Shirt: Ann Taylor, Skirt: Target, Shoes and Purse: ShoeDazzle, Sunglasses: Stolen from my boyfriend, Armani Exchange, Necklace: Neiman Marcus, Bracelet: White House/Black Market, Rings: BCBG and LeVian, Earrings: Macy's (Photos: Jason Crecelius, my dear friend and hair stylist @Georgetown Salon, Charlotte NC-THANKS, BOO - I LOVE YOU)
I don’t know if I have ever used all of those words in a sentence before….as in “Today I wore polka dots, lace, and faux-fur”.  There’s a first for everything, though, right? I found this beautiful blouse at Ann Taylor. It was a bit more (okay, a lot more) than I would normally spend on a blouse ($98); especially one that looks so unique (aka: blatantly obvious if you wear it a lot). Buuuut….they call the color “vintage violet” and I don’t have anything that color *probably due to the fact that it is a completely made-up color used to describe a grayish-navy (but I love it)*, and I don’t really own anything with frilly, fun, feminine lace, and it is work appropriate, and I can wear it after work hours, and…and….and (can you tell I am still trying to justify it???). I had been dying to wear this shirt, but when I really like something I try to wear it on a day that I am not just simply going to work and then straight home (feels kind of like a waste). So, when my boyfriend suggested a dinner date after work I took it as a sign that it was time….time for my “vintage violet” beauty to come out and see the light of day. It had been sitting in my closet for 2 whole weeks with the tags still on it and that is saying something. I am like a little kid in that regard. If I get something new, I will more than likely put my old (*insert: shoes, coat, necklace, watch) in the bag and wear my new purchase the rest of the day. I have no patience or self control when it comes to well…pretty much anything. Instant gratification…. Carrie (my BFF and partner in crime) makes fun of me all of the time for it. Anyway, I think it is pretty obvious if you peruse previous posts, I don’t wear a lot of pants to work. I prefer skirts/dresses to pants almost always. I find them to be so much more comfortable and on top of that, the inevitable rows of wrinkles that most dress pants get (you know, between the waist and the well, um…crotch) from sitting all day drive me absolutely bananas! That being said, my first thought was to grab a black pencil skirt, pair it with this blouse and WHAA-LA…instant work outfit. Then I realized, as I was putting my leg into my basic black bottom, that I used the words “scaredy-cat” in my last post to describe those of you who were hesitant to mix up your tops and bottoms. My fears of being called a hypocrite lead me to this seldomly-donned polka-dot number. As soon as I put it on I knew that it was a good idea. I loved it! I even got stopped on my way into the office and complimented by a very fashionable stranger….sweet validation. I grabbed the vest to put on after work and added some accessories (shocker…I know) and made my way out the door. I actually planned on wearing my black Dolce Vita’s (see: Uptown Siegfried and Roy) with this, but they weren’t by the door where I thought I left them. I did NOT feel like running back up 3 flights of stairs to get them so I slipped into the nude and black ones I wore on Monday, and once I had them on I preferred them with this anyway (especially since they complemented the colors in the vest)! BOO-YA!

2 comments:

  1. Love the way you mix different patterns. I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it. Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe not so much a mix of patterns, but the lace and polka dots. Still a fabulous outfit.

    ReplyDelete