12.24.2011

Egg Nog and (Away From) Homefries








Cape: Century Vintage/Patchwerk Playhaus, V-Neck T: Target, Leggings: Forever 21, Boots: ShoeDazzle, Purse: Forever 21, Watch: Michael Kors, Bracelets: Ivy & Leo and Handpicked, Rings: Stella & Dot and HandPicked, Nails: Nicole at Dilworth Nail (OPI Holiday 2011 colors w/ glitter topcoat), Beverages: Spiked Egg Nog by Evan Williams, Holiday Nog by Bolthouse Farms, (Outfit Photos: My Boyfriend, Hand Photo: Carrie Hawkins Foust, Tasty Beverages Photo: Me ;)
Nothing about Christmas this year has been traditional for me. I am ALWAYS home in NY with my family, surrounded by all of my brothers, grandmothers, uncles, aunts, cousins, parents, niece, and about a half a dozen nephews (and a partridge in a pear tree). There are scores of cookies, homemade sauce for a plethora of Italian pasta dishes, presents, music, old movies, stories of past Christmas debacles (my little brother Josh sneezing in the egg nog), and lots of love. Christmas Eve with my family is my favorite day of the year. It reminds me so much of my Grandpa "Papa" Maglier that it is almost as if he is there with us. This year it's just me, my boyfriend, our puppies, and 60 degree weather. I was pretty bummed this morning. Especially after receiving an adorable voice mail from my brother Joe's family. I must have listened to it 4 times back to back. It was so sweet, but it made me cry (smeared mascara and watery eyes...hence the sunglasses). So, there I was, sad and lonely. My boyfriend had went out to get his haircut, so instead of settling  comfortably into my funk of self-pity, I decided to meet him uptown for some breakfast. I threw on this big red vintage cape that I scored at Century Vintage and some leggings. I was cozy and comfortable, and the bright red cape did do a little something for my mood. It made me feel more jolly. Perhaps that is because I favor Mrs. Claus in it. I threw on some lipstick (that was borderline inappropriate for 9am) and had some comfort food (mmm...homefries). Now that I am home, football is on the TV, the white lights from the tree are bouncing off the glitter and bows on the presents surrounding it, our puppies are lounging around and I am sipping some of the delicious (yet ridiculously strong) spiked egg nog pictured above. So while I may not be home for Christmas, I am indeed surrounded by love and feeling very blessed at this moment. Merry Christmas to all (those of you celebrating traditional and non-traditional Christmases this year)! Enjoy every moment and don't forget to count your blessings. I know I won't.

1 comment:

  1. What a nice story ,honey.It wasn't really a traditional christmas here without you and Antuan,but you were with us in our hearts.Yes we all are very blessed,so often I take it all for granted.Today I will make a conscious effort to appreciate all I do have and you are a huge part of what I will not take for granted.Love and miss you so very much and Merry Christmas.Love your mama.XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete