12.19.2011

Element of Surprise








Cape: Kenar, Shirt: Target, Skirt: The Limited, Tights and Belt, Target, Shoes and Purse: Shoe Dazzle, Watch: Michael Kors, Bracelets: Stella and Dot, Handpicked, Ring: Target (photos: Carrie Hawkins Foust)
I've had surprises on my mind all weekend. This outfit is no exception, it is full of little surprises. The basic black pumps are jazzed up a bit with 3 rows of bling: little pearls, a gold chain, and crystals. The black tights have subtle textured vertical lines, and the shirt has a colorful paisley print that I love. The shirt was purchased with these long strings coming down from the collar. I am sure it was meant to be tied up in a cute little bow, but I hated them so I cut them off and used some double sided tape to fold over into a clean "seam". (I don't sew, so I love double sided tape.) The cape has great, black leather piping all along the outside as well as on the collar and pockets. The belt is a perfect fit around my lower waist, but far too big around my natural waist, so I poked an extra hole in it with a pair of scissors and secured the extra belt with a small, clear rubber band so it did not stick out on the side. It's a pretty simple outfit set off with the bright red skirt. If you're wondering why surprises have been on my mind all weekend it's because 2 of my 4 brothers surprised their girlfriends with engagement rings this weekend! They both got the rings behind their backs (and scored big gorgeous diamonds with halos around them, one a princess cut, the other a round). They caught both of their girlfriends completely off guard with their sweet, intimate proposals; their new fiances were awestruck and elated. I also got proposed to today! Mine was a complete shocker. It took place in the wine aisle of Target. A stranger who referred to me as "Little Red Riding Hood" (must have been the skirt) asked me if I was married, when I said that I was not, he proceeded to ask for my hand in marriage. I politely declined, but the gesture was sweet and I was surprised indeed. Perhaps it was the bright red polish randomly placed on my ring fingers that called to him. May have to rethink that decision next time I'm at the nail salon. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment