1.23.2012

Sale Racks and Shoe Repairs








Shirt: Ann Taylor Loft, Skirt: Forever 21, Vest: WD.NY, Scarf: Aldo Accessories, Shoes: Jessica Simpson, Watch and Purse: Michael Kors, Bracelets: HandPicked and Stella & Dot, Necklace: Stella & Dot, Earrings: Marthe Pinaire, Bag of Repairs and Alterations: Boots: ShoeDazzle, Heels: Dolce Vida from LOTUS, Skirts: Banana Republic, H&M (photos: Carrie Hawkins Foust)
Don't overlook, stash away and forget, or throw away something that is broken or "not quite right" if there is something about it that you still love. Instead, alter it, fix it, make it right for you.... then throw it out there. Today I took a duffel bag of stuff that had been sitting on the floor of my closet for quite some time to work with me. It had 3 skirts in it and 2 pairs of shoes. One of the skirts was ripped up the back, another stained, and 2 out of 3 were far too long. The green skirt in this pile is about 4 inches too long. It hits mid calf (the most unflattering length EVER for a skirt or dress), and the black and white one is not only too long (same length as the green number) but it has a stain on the waist of it too. The funny thing is, I bought them both that way. I found them at H&M. I loved the color of the green one; it was unlike anything else I own. I also loved the black and white one (the stain landed it on the sale rack for 50% off). Score. I spent $39.50 for both of the skirts, which of course averages out to just under $20.00. This fact allowed me to justify buying them and then getting them altered and cleaned. Once they are hemmed and stain free they will look like skirts that cost at least double what I scored them for. The boots have a broken zipper, but I really love them, the color, height, straps, well...everything, so instead of letting them get buried in the back of my closet never to be seen again, I am getting them fixed and giving them new life. The best part, the shoe repair man is sewing the zipper up at the bottom so it does not split apart. I was afraid they would have to try and replace the uniquely colored zipper and change the look of the whole boot but, but alas....crisis narrowly averted. The black Dolce Vida's, you have seen may times in these posts. I love them. They are the perfect heel height, have a square toe with rounded edges, and the bows in the back make them extra special, but I have worn them so much that I wore the plastic heel cover right off of them down to the metal nub. If you've ever worn pumps with a broken heel you know how annoying they are. Your height is off-balance just enough to drive you crazy and you sound like a tap dancer whenever you walk on anything but a carpeted floor. So, I took them all in for repair today and by Friday at lunch, and for about $50 total (shoes, alterations, and cleaning) I'll have 2 like new pairs of shoes and 3 wearable skirts. That averages out about $10 bucks an item, and in my opinion, all of these items are worth an extra $10 investment.
As far an my outfit today, it is pretty simple...a skirt and top that are similar in color, some tights, and shoes that have no business being a part of this outfit, but there they are anyway. It was cold and rainy out today in Charlotte so I put on a vest and added this great scarf last minute. The scarf is one long faux-fur loop. It is easy to wear over your head, and when left long almost looks like fur trim on a vest or coat. My favorite way though is to loop it around your neck twice like a traditional scarf and rock the (as my BFF and photog, Carrie referred to it) the "Snow Bunny" look.
Oh, and even though this may seem unrelated (it is in fact actually very relevant), I heard this wonderful quote today and thought I'd share. "Bringing out your own unique brand of creativity into your life and the world can be the most significant thing you'll ever do." -Lorna Catford. PH.D

No comments:

Post a Comment