4.15.2014

Yankee Feminist Liberal 'Crat...






Skirt and Shoes: F21, Shirt: TJ Maxx, Necklace: Some small boutique in NoDa, it was made be a local Charlotte designer.

This is what I wore to work late last week and then out to dinner with the Manfriend and his dad (who was in town for the evening). Although, this outfit is a little out of my comfort zone. I felt like someone else all day in it.

It's ultra-preppy. I mean... pink, navy, and pearls, come on?!? So I did what I could and spiced it up with fun shoes. I think a Southern preppy look is cute on some women, but I always feel like a weirdo imposter when I end up wearing it. I feel like it's Halloween and I'm dressed like a Republican sorority sister, but under the pearls lies a card-carrying Liberal feminist posing as a sweet Southern Belle. Not that you can't be a liberal feminist and dress preppy, obviously you can do whatever the hell you want, but that's the stereotype I have in my head.

Speaking of labels, my Manfriend and I were doing the whole "getting to know you" thing on our first date, and by the end of our 3-hour conversation (4 glasses of wine, and enough sushi for 5 grown men) he had nicknamed me a "Yankee Feminist Liberal-'Crat" (or Northern, Feminist, Liberal Democrat for those of you who haven't had your coffee yet). The name stuck and I must say, out of all of the nicknames he has for me, that one is my favorite. He was like... "Huh... it's weird. You look like a Southern girl, but then you open your mouth and this Yankee, Feminist, LiberalCrat comes out."

Four years ago I wasn't sure quite where he was going with that statement. You know, like, if it was a compliment or an insult?? But, I am happy to report that it was indeed a compliment. He's kind of the best. He loves me, and all of my loud-mouthed, liberal, feminist, non-traditional views. I mean... I drive him up a damn wall sometimes, and it's a gamble taking me to dinner parties, but hell... that's half the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment