10.13.2014

Basic Bitches











Sweater and T: Target, Skirt: F21, Shoes and Necklace: Aldo, Cuff: CeleneStones (15% off when you email Krista at CeleneStones@gmail.com)
"Basic"... the most recent and most popular way to throw shade at someone without actually swearing. It's a dis directed (in my case) towards rude, petty, pissy women who are threatened by anything outside of their comfort zone. Annnnd it's currently my favorite phrase when paired with the word "bitch" or "bitches". Allow me to give you an example: 

My girlfriends and I walked into a sports bar for drinks one night. We were wearing heels, dresses, bold lipstick, and we ordered champagne. There was a group of women next to us about our same ages (early to mid 30's or so) and they all did this condescending group giggle when we sat down at a table next to them. They looked us up and down and then laughed. I overheard one say... "Sequins? To a bar? Really? Hahahahaha....". I looked at them, and then back at my friends and simply said... "Ah... Fuk em. Basic Bitches. Every last one."


I reserve the word for real assholes. It's not about what you're wearing or not wearing. It's not about how "fashionable" you are (whatever that means). It's not about if you prefer fancy heels and accessories, or cardigan sweaters and flip flops. It's a disposition. Basic bitches feel threatened by anything that they aren't a part of or don't understand. Basic bitches always agree with the masses. Basic bitches are mean, unsupportive, followers who have to put other women down to make themselves feel better. Basic bitches gossip... judge... and rarely give a shit about anything outside of their own little world.

When I saw this t-shirt I had to have it. It was not an investment piece. I mean, it cost me $5.00. I'm sure it will last about as long as the popularity of the insult itself, but I love it. A simple, bold reminder. "Don't Be Basic." Don't be a shithead. I really wanted to wear it to Corporate America, and this (basic) cardigan and pencil skirt is how I got away with doing so (without getting canned). 

In other news, we were in Alabama this past weekend for a wedding. We had an absolute BLAST. Take-aways:
  • In Alabama, college football is a REALLY big deal.
  • Pork barbeque is also VERY important. 
  • Making memories and traveling together. Man, that's the good stuff. Even if things are good day to day, getting away from your routine with the person you love is so special.
  • Champagne... is always a good idea. Until the next day. Saturday was AWESOME. Sunday sucked. UGH.
  • I tested the limits of dry shampoo last week and am baffled it's superpowers. I washed my hair on Wednesday morning and not again until this morning (rehearsal and wedding festivities included). That stuff is amaaaaazing. 
  • I have never been to a more beautiful, heartfelt wedding ceremony. The pastor had known the bride her whole life and choked up while he was speaking to the couple. I was bawling. Best wishes, Hugh and Emily. It was an amazing weekend!









No comments:

Post a Comment