3.21.2012

Hot Fudge Sundaes and Diet Coke









Blazer: Forever 21, Tank: Target, Pants: Express, Shoes: Jessica Simpson, Bracelets: Ivy & Leo and Stella & Dot, Necklaces: Bebe and Target, Ring: Target, Bag and Watch: Michael Kors, Earrings: LOTUS (photos: Carrie Hawkins Foust and Me;)
I was surprised this morning to see that this F21 blazer I bought a few months ago, is the same exact color as the tank I got from Target about 3 years ago. Score. I was feeling pretty boring with just the blue pairing on top and white on bottom. Initially I had matching blue shoes on, but they have a fancy rhinestone buckle on them which annoyed me today...it made me feel a little too dressy, so I swapped them out for these sky high, Jessica Simpsons instead. I love these shoes. I love them so much that I also have them in black. They are ridiculously wearable, considering the height of the heel. Anyway, back to my guilt. My Stepmom saw these lovely little anchor earrings in my last post and she commented that she loves them and "reallllllllly" wants them. So, when I put them on I couldn't help but think that I should really be cleaning them with alcohol, wrapping them up, and "overnighting" them to NY. My Stepmom loves all things nautical. She loves the water, boats, sea animals, jet skiing, water skiing, and especially a good fruity, summer-time mixed drink. If it relates to the water...she loves it. So naturally she would immediately become obsessed with these nautical earrings. As a matter of fact, I thought of her as soon as I saw them. I am checking in to whether or not another pair exactly like them exists, but I got them from LOTUS who is notorious for getting one of a kind, unique pieces from vendors who only make one of everything. I love that about LOTUS, but I am going to be kind of bummed if this is the only pair that exist in the universe. I had so much guilt this morning that I started to think of the woman who has washed perfume out of my burning eyes (I sprayed it in my eyes when I was 5, because I was convinced that I could "do it myself"!), taught me how to make blue eyes stand out with taupe eyeshadow, drove me around in her super-fly candy apple red sports car while we sung "Ace of Base" at the top of our lungs ("I saw the signs..."), taught me how to snow (and water) ski, took me through the McDonald's drive-thru for our favorite meal (a medium Diet Coke and hot fudge sundae), has always made sure my birthday cards arrive in the mail on time, and has stuck up for some of my life choices (ie: getting a tattoo(s), being in an interracial relationship, etc.) when my Dad  needed to be talked off a ledge. As I started to reminisce on all of this I got to thinking about how hard it must be to be a step-parent. It can't be easy, and it hasn't always been easy for us (over the last 25+ years); but... at the end of the day, I feel very fortunate to have you (if you're reading this, Beanz). So,  if I can't find another pair of these earrings (that frankly, were made for her <not me>) these little suckers are getting cleaned up and shipped to NY. I mean, the woman let me eat hot fudge sundaes and wash them down with Diet Coke. It's the least I can do, don't ya think?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment