12.22.2013

Hooker Elf





Dress: LOTUS (2 years ago), Earrings: Macy's, Shoes: Off Broadway

Yesterday was December 21st... 4 days before Christmas... and it was 70 muthatruckin' degrees outside.

You'd think it would be pretty hard to get into the Christmas spirit when you are sweating. But... I have never felt it more than I did yesterday. I delivered Christmas gifts to deserving family in straight up Santa Claus style. (Not in this dress by the way... "Oh, hey, I'm Santa's little helper, Hooker Elf, here to deliver your gifts.")

By the time I left their home their tree was surrounded by a pile of gifts and the emotion, humility, and appreciation from the mother of the family left me touched to the core. I cried for 20 minutes on my ride back. I cried over the fact that the family's daughter has a life-altering illness. I cried for the genuine, heartfelt appreciation that they showed. I cried for the little card on the tree written on notebook paper that said: To: Santa Claus, From: Christopher (the 11 year old). I cried thinking back to my childhood.... how hard my mom worked every single day and how much joy she got from seeing all our faces on Christmas morning. I remember believing in Santa Claus for a looooong time, because I honestly didn't see another way. There was no way that my mom could afford what was under our tree?!? I cried because maybe those gifts were an answered prayer from a family that is going through a lot.

Then... when I finished crying,  I got it together. I showered, shaved, plucked the one random black chin hair that shows up on my chin every 4 weeks... and put on a party dress (no tights or coat necessary... being that it was hot as hell and all).

Our friends John and Kyla held a Christmas Party at their house.The party was beautiful. Great friends, lots and lots of belly laughs, more than a couple drinks, delicious food, and we all brought presents with us to bless another family in need.

It was an awesome day.


 This is my adorable dog, Jackson, who made the road trip with me to meet the family.  Jax turns 8 on Christmas Day. Look at him rockin' that white beard, Old Man Winter style.

This is the pile of gifts Jackson and I delivered...


John and Kyla's Christmas party... and them opening up their wedding gift from Antuan and me (better late than never). I took their engagement photos, photos at her bridal shower, and pictures from their wedding weekend and I put them all together to document their journey from engagement to alter.

Oh, and above, in those beautiful crystal carafes... THAT is the reason I am typing this with a pounding headache this morning. Honey Wild Turkey (whiskey) and Lemonade... a very delicious, very good idea at the time. Today... not so much. OY-VEY.

No comments:

Post a Comment