5.14.2014

Just Bloom









Skirt: TJ Maxx, Shirt: Target, Bag: Aldo, Shoes: no idea (somewhere in NYC 4 years ago), Chain Necklace: Handpicked, Tassel Necklace: Stella & Dot, Hamsa Necklace: Dog Earred, Necklace: Alex & Ani, Watch: Michael Kors

I'm sure I have written about this before, but I am a big believer of women giving props to other women.

I decided a few years ago that if I was thinking something nice or complimentary about another woman, that I was just going to tell her; whether she was a stranger, acquaintance, or a friend. It's made for a couple awkward situations... like the time I walked up to a stranger in the salad line of a lunch spot, and told her... "You look really nice. I love your outfit."... and she looked at me with a blank stare and then as if she was frightened (like I was a serial killer or something). In my head I was all like, "Damn... I don't want to murder you and wear your skin, biiiiitch, I just like your dress. Shit".  I just awkwardly turned back around like it never happened and got out of there as fast as I could. HOWEVER... 9 times out of 10, women REALLY appreciate it. They get a genuine smile on their face, thank me, and then we normally start talking.

It's amazing how much a sincere compliment can turn your day around and stick with you. I'm normally the one dishing out the compliments, but yesterday I received one. Ironically, I was in the same salad line that the one woman made me feel like an asshole at. I walked up and there were two women. They both looked me up and down and started whispering to themselves. I noticed it and could feel myself getting defensive and kind of embarrassed. I immediately assumed that they were talking shit. Maybe about the fact that I didn't "match" (overrated), or that I was wearing hot pink lipstick in Corporate America, etc. etc. I just got my lunch and walked up to pay. They were at the counter right in front of me and said... "We love your outfit, every part of it, and we were talking about how we wish we were creative enough to think to put that together". WHAAAAAT?!?!?!? Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. I had made up my mind that these two women were rude bitches. Guess I was wrong. They were whispering about me, but they weren't talking smack. What a concept?!?  BUT... had they not told me, I would have walked away kind of feeling like shit for a few minutes. Their compliment made me smile. We all talked for a few minutes, and then I felt like a bit of an asshole for judging them so quickly.

Anyway, I'm convinced now more than ever that it would be a far more enjoyable world for women if we started complimenting each other more (out loud) and criticizing one another less. A complimentary thought that you keep to youself is okay, but it's kind of a waste if you ask me.

It's hard enough out there as it is. Right?

Hell yes I am right. You can't look at a magazine, the TV, a billboard, any advertisement, listen to the radio, scroll Instagram, etc w/o being bombarded by images of "perfection". To my point... I saw this quote the other day and I thought it was awesome. Food for thought. 

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/p403x403/10006966_661070187291671_1322136958_n.png

No comments:

Post a Comment